About Åsens by

THE HISTORY OF ÅSENS VILLAGE

Åsens by Culture Reserve is an example of what a village in Småland looked like, for more than 100 years ago.
The first written information about Åsen village are from 1455. The village then consisted of two farms. Åsens village is first mentioned in The Land Records in 1542 as  two farms.

A enclosuremap from 1794 shows the boundaries of Åsen. A economic map from 1954 shows, when comparing it with the map from 1794, that the village has been farmed in the same way for at least 150 years.

THE RESERVE

The farm called Norrgården previously was owned by the church. In 1993 the farm Södergården was added to the domains.

In 1994 extensive restorations of the buildings and the land started. At the same timed the infields were divided into three small properties. Each of the propertieds was approximately 35 hectars each.
In 1997 the municipality of Aneby bought the propertied and made it into av nature reserve. In 2000 it became a culture reserve.

Most of the buildings on the property is used for a variety of activities. Teclas house, the barn, the wash house and a privy is retain in its original state.

THE ANIMALS ON THE RESERVE
      
The animals of on the reserve, is as far as possible, based on old and threatend breeds.  You will find native breeds as the Väne cattle, the Dala Päls sheep, Göinge goat, the Gotland rabbit, the Linderöd pig and the Öland hen. The reserve works with the national breed association and the genebanks for each animal. This to ensure the survival of the breeds.

THE GARDENS

The gardens in Åsens by varies in character. Some are created by the previosly owners and some are traditonal gardens for the time they were created. The kitchen garden includes old varietied of vegetables and herbs.

CULTIVATIONS

Old forms of cereals are grown in the fields. Seeds are saved for the next years sowing.
Fro 2007 and forwars the farming is organic ( KRAV CERTIFIED). As a part of recreating the village as it was around the year of 1900 a management plan s formed on the basis of rotating the crop between different fields.

  
The village contents three farms. Most of the buildings are now used for a variety of activities, but a dwellling house, barn, wash-house and privy have been retained in their original state.The small fields are enclosed by the significant split-rail fences and native breeds of cows and sheeps graze in the pastures. The breeding of animals in the village is as far as possible based on old or threatened breeds. The reserve works together with the native breed associations and is affiliated to respective gene bank to ensure the survival of the breeds. In the fields grows old varieties of cereals and old cultivation traditions are used, partly carried out using horses.
The reserve